Monday 3 October 2011

What stage am I up to in the Information Search Process (ISP)?

During the process of working through the subject of Information-Learning Nexus I have experienced many emotions.  Most of the time it has been panic and frustration as I move through each phase of Kuhlthau’s model of ISP.  At this point I think I am oscillating between the formulation and collection phases (Kahlthau, 2007) as I think my focus becomes hazy at times as I try to understand what needs to be completed.  However I think I am getting to the stage where I am extending my understanding and finding information to support this.  The new understanding often leads me into different areas which is where the confusion comes in as I try to stay focussed on the task at hand.
I have discovered, there is so much information about inquiry based learning and information literacy that it can become quite overwhelming.  Reading through the various articles can make the task of finding relevant and quality information quite daunting.  I think the perspective I will take now is to find the best way to embed inquiry based learning into my role as a teacher-librarian.  My new searches may take on this new slant as I feel I need to start searching for something tangible I can use to support my role. 
During my previous search using the ERIC database I discovered an article which sparked my interest, written by Sherry R. Crow, an Assistant Professor of School Library Science at the University of Nebraska Kearney.  The inclusion of “Children who are Intrinsically Motivate to Seek Information” in the title sparked my interest.  I feel this is where we would like all children to be, searching for information because they want too, not because they have too.  The summary further enhanced my interest because the focus of the article was how school librarians can foster intrinsic motivation in children.  A teacher librarian’s role is to enhance the development of student’s abilities to become life long learners (ASLA, 2002).  
The article gave a very comprehensive look at how students of upper primary age view information seeking activities.   Out of one hundred students surveyed, 9 were chosen for more in depth study as they were perceived as being intrinsically motivated to seek information.  The study used the Theoretical Model of Urban Teen Development (Agouti and Hughes-Hassell 2006a, 2006b as cited in Crow, 2011) to classify the interest areas created by the students.  The data analysed, was categorized under the following headings: home and family life, play, creativity, noncompetitiveness and information-seeking behaviour.  Noteworthy is Crow’s discussion about point of passion: a student’s “first remembered experience regarding an interest or fascination they have since pursued” (Crow, 2011). The majority of the students had this “single interest-igniting experience” at about the age of 4 or 5.  The other students had the experience when they were older, at around the ages of 7 and 9 (Crow, 2011).
One draw back of this study was the small number of students involved with the study.  It is noted in the article that more students of different ages needed to be examined to see if the conclusions may ring true for all students (Crow, 2011).  To ensure students stay or become intrinsically motivated to search for information they need to be given choice and control over their information-seeking projects that are age appropriate.  The emphasis needs to be on accomplishing learning goals rather than extrinsic rewards such as grades or competitions (Crow, 2011).  Using an inquiry pedagogical approach also ensures that students become intrinsically motivated as it “encourages students to ask questions, investigate, explore, search, quest, and study (Crow P.22, 2011).”  
“By using strategies and techniques that stimulate and build on the innate interests of students, school librarians can move beyond teaching static skills and rote processes. Instead they become educators who take an active role in fostering in their young patrons a disposition for learning that may last a lifetime (Crow P.23, 2011).”  Something to aspire too!!
References
Australian School Library Association [ASLA]. (2002).Standards of professional excellence for teacher-librarians. Retrieved from http://www.asla.org.au/policy/standards.htm

Crow, Sherry R. (2011), Exploring the Experiences of Upper Elementary School Children Who Are Intrinsically Motivated to Seek Information, School Library Media Research, v14. 42 pp. Retrieved from http://www.eric.ed.gov.ezp01.library.qut.edu.au/PDFS/EJ926866.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment