Wednesday 12 October 2011

Questionnaire No. 3

I realise I have many more things to learn about this topic.  The amount of instructional advice in this area is vast, I think because information literacy underpins every thing we do.  Although, I have finished my blog for the requirements of this subject, I will not stop searching and learning about best practise for the teaching of information literacy and inquiry based learning.  I have enjoyed the learning journey so far but I feel as if this is just the beginning. 
Questionnaire 3
1. Take some time to think about your topic. Now write down what you know about it. 
Information literacy encombasses all KLAs, it is not an area that can be taught in isolation.  Information literate students can not only locate and use information but they are also aware of what it is they need to discover. Being aware of a need to solve a problem, advocate for an issue or to fufill an innate curiosity about something they are interested in, is integral to information literacy.
Inquiry based learning is the pedogogy behind building good information literacy skills.  There are many models that support this style of teaching.  These models allow for the development of authentic learning opportunities for students.  If the skills of inquiry based learning are taught in isolation the legitimacy of the learning is reduced.  However, the skills needed to partake in inquiry based learning, are important to allow the learner to move onto the next level.  The GeST model of information literacy (Bruce & Lupton, 2010) provides a way of assessing if a task set, is purely skills based or an authentic learning opportunity. The more authentic the information learning activity, the deeper the understanding by the learner.  The learner will not reach this level unless they have the skills underpinning their research.
It seems a number of models use a process approach to explain the learning journey students pass through as they complete their learning.  Not all models take into account the emotional journey the learner goes through while solving a problem or discovering new knowledge.  Kuhlthau (2007) states how important this emotional journey is to the success of a student’s learning.  Students need support in this during their learning journey or they may decide to discontinue their search or even worse become turned off information seeking altogether. 
2. How interested are you in this topic?  Check () one box that best matches your interest.
Not at all not much ☐    quite a bit ✓ a great deal 
3. How much do you know about this topic?  Check () one box that best matches how much you know.
Nothing ☐   not much ☐    quite a bit   a great deal  

4. Thinking back on your research project, what did you find easiest to do? Please list as many things as you like.
Finding information on inquiry based learning and information literacy. 

5. Thinking back on your research project, what did you find most difficult to do? Please list as many things as you like.
Sifting through all the articles to find relevant information.  Writing up the information in a scholarly way especially on the Blog.  Relating the information found, to the context assignment and writing it up to demonstrate my understanding.
Time management is always an issue for me.  I get easily distracted, in searches I often go off on tangents reading articles that interest me but aren’t necessarily relevant to the topic of research. I feel I spend too much time in the initiation phase of the Information Search Process (Kuhlthau, 2007) worrying about what is expected of me as well as feeling overwhelmed by the whole process.  My confidence is at its lowest point at this stage.  I found I also get stuck in the Exploration phase where I often lose focus and the uncertainty creeps in again.  Discovering that this is a natural process helped to improve my confidence in my ability.  I don't know if it actually helped me get through the two phases any quicker but it helped knowing that these feelings were normal.  

6.What did you learn in doing this research project? Please list as many things as you like.
I learnt how to use Boolean operators and to be aware that each search engine has its own set of idiosyncrasies.  Learning how to use the advanced search tools in the various databases, located in the QUT virtual library was invaluable.  I can see I’ll be able to use this while completing the various subjects in the rest of my Master’s course and in my role as a teacher-librarian.  
I’ve discovered a huge number of models for inquiry based learning and information literacy.  I have learnt that these models need to be adapted to suit the needs of the learner and the teacher.  
I’ve learnt that for true learning to occur a change needs to occur in the learner, whether it is a change in knowledge (adding or replacing), a social change or a change in attitude.  Not all information seeking is related to the written word.  Information takes on many forms such as physical i.e. through the senses (touch, smell, taste etc), or emotional (alters our emotional state: confident, concerned etc). Every person’s learning journey is personal.
I discovered how important it is to create a Point of Passion (Crow, 2011) within young children, encouraging an intrinsic need to learn.  Creating life long learners is the ultimate goal for all teachers.  Having an inquiry based pedagogical approach can ensure this happens for all students.  Realising this has assisted me in attempting to ignite this passion in my own children.  The problem is then, how to help keep this passion smouldering without putting it out, by smothering it with my own enthusiasm.  


References



Bruce, C. & Lupton, M. (2010) Chapter 1 : Windows on Information Literacy Worlds: Generic, Situated and Transformative Perspectives in Lloyd, Annemaree and Talja, Sanna. Practising information literacy : bringing theories of learning, practice and information literacy together.  Wagga Wagga: Centre for Information Studies. pp. 3 - 27


Crow, Sherry R. (2011), Exploring the Experiences of Upper Elementary School Children Who Are Intrinsically Motivated to Seek Information, School Library Media Research, v14. 42 pp. Retrieved from http://www.eric.ed.gov.ezp01.library.qut.edu.au/PDFS/EJ926866.pdf



Kuhlthau C., Maniotes L., Caspari A., (2007).  Guided Inquiry Learning in the 21st Century. London: Libraries Unlimited.


No comments:

Post a Comment